IT&E is Hiring
The following Full-time Position is available in our organization. Interested applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements must submit an application through the IT&E Career Center by clicking here no later than the posted closing date above.
JOB TITLE: Telecommunications Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Outside Plant
CORP. ENTITY: PTI Pacifica Inc. dba IT&E
JOB LEVEL: 2B
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
JOB POSTING #: 1278
The Telecommunications Engineer (Outside Plant) plans, designs, and provides engineering support for IT&E’s Outside Plant Operations, which primarily involves the addition, rearrangement and removal of outside plant facilities for copper and fiber (FTTH) to meet subscriber needs; to include the preparation of industry standard design plans and drawings, accompanying work documents for OSP construction orders, cost estimates and associated submittals for processing permits from government agencies. Posts engineering field work into the Micro Station (CAD) System; and investigates customer complaints.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Employee will:
1. Provide design-engineering support to the development of FTTx solutions and architecture, GPON as well as PtP.
2. Prepare and provide initial Engineering concept plans of all assigned projects for management review and approval.
3. Conduct pre-construction surveys with Contractors to verify all routing and necessary requirements for the final Engineering design plans.
4. Prepare Industry standard Outside Plant Engineering and design plans in Computer Aided Design (CAD) format of cable routes and associated ancillary equipment and cost estimates of OSP Fiber access networks from the Operator’s point of view, to be submitted to Management for funding approval.
5. Process the local government permits necessary to do digging/trenching work on Public Right of Ways.
6. Issue work orders to authorize construction contractors to install cable facilities as designed within a scheduled timeframe; conduct random spot checks during construction to ensure conformance of contractor with the plan and contract unit specifications.
7. Coordinate closely with contractors to review project plans and oversee contractor work to final completion of the projects.
8. Conduct final quality inspection of the job performed upon receipt of invoice by the contractor; ensure that corrective measures are taken if discrepancies are noted.
9. Post drawings of the completed work (as-built drawings) to the Main U-Station folder in the engineering server for a permanent record.
10. Prepare lists of materials and quantities needed for special projects undertaken by the company; prepare as-built drawings upon completion.
11. Ensure equipment vendor/manufacturers’ performance standards are fully compliant with the requirement specifications, meeting both North American and international standards.
12. Ensure equipment and engineering expenses are in accordance with the approved capital and operations budgets.
13. Cross-train other engineering and technical staff in various aspects of this position to prepare them to fill in as needed and for possible succession.
14. Supervise project-assigned staff in the accomplishment of the duties and responsibilities of this position.
15. Assist on emergency calls from OSP technicians in such incidents as cut/damaged cable, damaged pedestal, need to identify the exact location of a cable, and the need to relocate a pedestal.
16. Conduct site surveys, complete staking/marking of IT&E cable facilities; work with the utilities corporation and other government agencies present in the proposed construction site, to include the Historic Preservation Office, Division of Environmental Quality, Coastal Resource Management Office, Division of Fish and Wildlife and the Department of Public Lands.
17. Assist sales department to explain technical functions regarding the addition, rearrangement, or removal of cable facilities to meet subscriber needs.
18. Assist other engineers in their areas of responsibility, as needed.
19. Perform other related duties or tasks as assigned or required.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in telecommunications, or civil engineering or related field, or a combination of technical training, either manufacturer or trade school, and equivalent additional work experience.
- Work Experience: Four years progressive experience in the technical and/or engineering aspects of telecommunications
- Licensure/Certification/Professional Association: Vendor certification for network systems equipment installation and maintenance is desirable, but not required.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of:
a. Theories, principles, standards, and practices of telecommunication engineering, including Outside Plant and Inside Plant systems at the design level
b. Telecommunications Outside Plant equipment, networks, and processes, to include fiber optic and copper cables, DSL, and fixedwireless local loop
c. Industry Standard knowledge of Micro duct and fiber design and installation
d. Materials associated with telecommunications construction switching, transmission and cellular systems
e. Accepted personnel supervision theories and practices
f. Principles and concepts of team building and resource management
2. Skills in:
a. Preparing complex and technical written reports and analyses
b. Use of personal computer hardware and MicroStation (CAD) and Microsoft software programs c. Project/Program Management
3. Ability to:
a. Communicate clearly, concisely, and accurately with all levels of staff and customers, both verbally and in writing.
b. Supervise assigned professional and technical staff to include contractor personnel.
c. Analyze, understand, and interpret work situations, technical documents, reports, and results. d. Estimate labor and material costs.
e. Perform in a self-directed, hard-working, creative, and forward-thinking manner
f. Travel via airlines as needed to support engineering activities in neighboring islands.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Important
Information about COVID-19 Vaccination Our Company has a mandatory vaccination policy in place. If you receive an offer of employment from our Company, you will need to provide proof that you are or will be fully vaccinated by January 4th, 2022 (fully vaccinated status means you have received two doses of a two-dose series, or one dose of a single dose series, and it has been two weeks since your last dose). Our Company provides reasonable accommodation for approved medical or religious exemptions. If you feel that you have a qualified medical or religious exemption to this policy, you must speak with HR to begin the interactive process. Noncompliance with our mandatory vaccination policy will result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination or revocation of the offer of employment.
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, we afford equal opportunity to all applicants and employees for hire and promotion without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, marital status, religion, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy or disability or genetic information.
IT&E is a Drug Free Workplace